Packing a lunch is an excellent idea for those trying to save money and consume a healthier diet. However, carrying lunch to work or school may mean it will not be refrigerated. When you pack a lunch, consider food safety. It may not be a glamorous topic, but neither is a foodborne illness.
Here are a few tips to help you consume a safe lunch.
- Purchase an insulated lunch bag. These bags are better for keeping food safe until it is consumed. Remember, cold cut sandwiches and yogurt can only be left at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Reusable bags should be washed with warm soapy water after each use.
- Wash hands and any food contact surface before you prepare the lunch. Also make sure to wash your hands before eating. If you can't wash your hands before lunch, pack a moist towelette.
- Freeze a juice box or an ice pack. This will help keep your lunch cold and by lunchtime, you should be able to drink the juice.
- If you are packing hot foods, such as soup, use an insulated bottle like a thermos.
- When in doubt, throw it out. If all the food is not consumed, toss it. Better safe than sorry.
Fit and Fresh
Hope you have a safe and nutritous lunch. Check in next week when I will be talking about my lunch box favorite.