Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Carrots and Lemon-Lime Soda – Together?


My chef colleague gave me the idea of cooking carrots in lemon-lime soda several years ago.  My first thought was, ugh, what?  Needless to say, I was somewhat dazed by the idea.  But then I thought, if you can make a cake with coke or barbeque sauce with soda, why not cook carrots in soda.  A soda is basically flavored water and sugar. 

After getting over my initial shock, I decided to give it a try.  Making foods with soda dates back to the depression era when sugar was rationed.  The ever clever American cooks decided to use soda instead of sugar.  I decided the idea of carrots cooked in soda was an interesting idea.  I thought it was worth a try.  You’ve got sugar and flavor.  Off to the kitchen I went to test out this bright new idea.

If you are totally intrigued, here is my recipe.

Lemon-Lime Carrots
Serves 3 to 4.

Ingredients:
1 pound carrots
Lemon-lime soda, about ¾ cup
1 Tablespoon butter, optional
Directions:

1.      Wash and peel carrots.  Cut into ¼’ slices. 
2.     Place carrots in a small saucepan.  Add enough soda to cover carrots.  Cover with lid and bring to a simmer.  Cook until carrots are tender.  Drain.  If desired, add butter.  Stir until melted and serve.

I thought the carrots turned out nicely.  I would make them again if I wanted to try something with a little different twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment