Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bananas Foster

I first came across Bananas Foster as a graduate student.  I was fascinated by setting something on fire. 

Bananas Foster originated at Brennan's restaurant in New Orleans.  As the story goes, in the 1950's New Orleans was a major port of entry for bananas from Central and South America.  The owner of Brennan's challenged the chef to create a dish featuring bananas.  The chef, Paul Blangé, created Bananas Foster. 

Bananas Foster is basically bananas sautéed in butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.  Heat a little rum.  Pour over bananas and flame.  Spoon bananas over vanilla ice cream and serve.

One thing I like about a good recipe, is that it can withstand the test of time.  We come back to them again and again.  A few months ago I found a recipe for Bananas Foster served over yogurt.  I had to try it.  Needless to say it was an excellent addition to the Bananas Foster repertoire.



No comments:

Post a Comment