Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Greek Yogurt – My New Favorite Food

I have eaten Greek yogurt periodically. However, on my recent trip to Greece, I ate the stuff every day. I just couldn’t get enough of it. I would have licked the bowl, but I think my companions might have been embarrassed.

Greek yogurt is different from regular yogurt. You can stand a spoon in Greek yogurt. To say that it is thick is an understatement. Most Greek yogurt is sold minus the fruit and sugar. At one time Fage was about the only brand available in the US. With increasing popularity, companies such as Dannon, Stonyfield Farm and Yoplait have gotten on the Greek yogurt bandwagon.

Sources of Greek Yogurt:
There are two good things about these websites – recipes and coupons.
True yogurt connoisseurs prefer plain yogurt. I prefer mine with honey or homemade jam. I also like to toss in a little granola. It’s great for a quick breakfast.
Greek yogurt stars in lots of common dishes such as:
Roasted Fruit with Greek Yogurt

I am not sure if the Greeks actually make this dessert, but I love their yogurt so much that I am using for this recipe.
Serves 4.
Ingredients:
Plums, apricots, peaches, enough for 4 servings
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 Tablespoons chopped nuts, toasted
1 Tablespoon honey

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking dish with parchment paper. Place fruit, cut side up, brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until soft and some juices run off, about 15 minutes.

2. Divide among 4 dessert plates; top each with 2 tablespoons yogurt, sprinkle with nuts and drizzle with honey.

1 comment: