Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Goat Cheese Alfredo Sauce - The End of My Assignment


As some of my most diligent followers may know, I gave my foods class a grocery store assignment last year.  The assignment was to go to grocery stores that they did not normally go to and find cheeses that they did not normally purchase.  To that end, I believe the assignment and my students were a success.  I am always tempting them to become more adventurous with their food choices, that is, to venture out from their usual food pattern. 

I, too, decided to complete the assignment, mostly because I never turn down a chance to eat cheese.  Well, the semester is almost over and I am still working on my assignment.  Ok, I wasn’t getting a grade and neither the boss nor Mom was checking up on me.  A goat cheese made by Beemster is my final choice.  I had never seen or heard of this cheese before my assignment.  This particular cheese is aged for four months.  My colleague and I tasted it and decided the texture was similar to Parmesan cheese.  I ran through a number of things I could make.  At first I was going to make squash ravioli and toss it with some kind of Parmesan cheese sauce.  As time got closer, I realized that was not going to happen.  What do they say about the best laid plans?  I am sure there were some other things I was going to make with this cheese, but they did not get made either. 

I finally decided to make Goat Cheese Alfredo Sauce.  It’s simple.  My ‘eating, chef’ colleague once told me that Alfredo sauce was nothing more than cream and parmesan cheese.  It sounded easy enough to me. 

Here is my version of goat cheese Alfredo sauce.

Goat Cheese Alfredo Sauce

Serves 4.

Ingredients:

1 Tablespoon butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cups 2% milk
1¼ cups (5 ounces) grated cheese, divided
2 Tablespoons less fat cream cheese
½ teaspoon salt
8 ounces fettuccine pasta
2 teaspoons chopped flat leaf parsley

Directions:
1.     Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add garlic; cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.  Stir in flour.  Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk.  Cook until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. 

2.     Add 1 cup of grated cheese, cream cheese and salt.  Stir until cheese melts.  Toss with hot pasta.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese and parsley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment